The limestone church, less additions, was built and the cornerstone laid on May 15, 1815.
James Madison was President of the United States. The building was dedicated August 25, 1816.
The interior was built with a 12 foot pulpit surmounted by a sounding board topped by a dove with an olive branch in its beak stationed there from 1824 to 1855. This would indicate that there was no horizontal division into the three floors as is the case now. The dove is in the relic room of the Zion Lutheran Church on West Main Street.